Friday, March 23, 2007

Winchester Legacy in 357 Magnum

A couple of years ago I indulged my fancy for lever action rifles by picking up a new Winchester Legacy in 357 Magnum. The gun was bought at Wal-Mart and the price was right.




Over the next two years I would occasionally take it out and try my luck at 100 yards, using stock S&B 158 grain ammo. The gun's open sights consistently did very well.


But none of my recent results matched those I achieved yesterday.


Maybe it was the balmy 75 degree temperature. Or maybe my eyes are just getting better.


Here are a couple of targets reflecting great groups fired from a sandbag at 100 yards, using the gun's stock iron sights.



These results exceed what I get from my Winchester 94 in 30-30.

I have never used the gun for hunting, but I am encouraged that out to 100 yards it would do a fine job on deer. Unfortunately, with the close of the Conn. Winchester plant, the Winchester 94 is currently out of production. My gun will now cost you almost twice as much "new" than I paid. Hopefully, someone will take on the Winchester legacy and start producing these again.


Technorati Tags:, ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

No comments: