Thursday, March 15, 2007

Accuracy at a reasonable price



A few years ago, I purchased a Remington 700 VSF and scoped it with a Leupold 14X scope. At the time the total cost of the gun, scopes, rings etc. was around $1,000.

I use this gun solely for target shooting at 100 yards. Its in .308 so the effective range may be out to 400 or more, but in my area it's hard to find a place to shoot long range.

Out of the box, the gun produced 1 inch groups, but since I handload my results always been better than that. Using a load of 39 grains of Accurate 2015BR and a Sierra 168 grain match bullet, the other day I shot 20 rounds at 100 yards. My best group was 3/4 inch.Many shooters will by far more expensive guns to get this kind of accuracy, but clearly handloading has a lot to do with it.

The current version of this gun by Remington has a MSRP of over $1,000 but you can get it for around $800+.

No comments: