Monday, October 17, 2011

CZ 453 Varmint

Recently, I picked up a CZ 453 Varmint.



It is a fine example of a high quality bolt action rim-fire.
This one is in 22lr with a heavy 20 inch barrel, set trigger, 5 rnd mag, walnut stock.
The bolt locks up securely almost like a center fire rifle. Twin extractors ensure positive ejection.

This model requires 11mm scope rings to attached to the integral scope base on the receiver. I put a Lueopold 9x variable on mine, and set off to the range with Wolf 22lr target ammo...shooting from a bench at 50 yards.

Results were great. Most 5 shot groups were under a half inch. Some four shot groups hit .30 -40 inch. The set trigger was acting a little quirky. I would set it by pushing forward....and then sometimes the trigger would engage and release the sear and sometimes it wouldn't. Shooting without the set trigger engaged was no surprise. No creep, with around 3-4 lb let off.

Per Rimfirecentral.com, on the CZ board seems like the set trigger can be an issue if the adjustments on the trigger are not just right. The trigger is fully adjustable....and I played with the pull a bit....and the set trigger adjustment. My next range test will see how well it improves the overall trigger and the set trigger.

You can buy one of these for around $500 if you shop around. It weighs around 6 lbs. It is more ideal for small game hunting than just target shooting. But it can do fine just on tin cans and paper targets if that is your preference. Wolf Target ammo has preformed well for me. But I really didn't try any other brand....but I am inclined to keep using Wolf when I am doing target shooting.

No comments: